Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ghandhi ji Inspires Everyone!





Gandhiji inspires me, says Aamir
10 Feb 2009, 0042 hrs IST, JANKI DAVE, TNN
You can run but you can’t ignore the magic that’s in the air while he is around. The ‘thinking actor’ that he is, Aamir Khan doesn’t need any Aamir Khan.introduction. His work speaks a lot about himself.


Aamir’s films 1947: Earth, Sarfarosh, Lagaan, Mangal Pandey- The Rising, Rang De Basanti, Fanaa and Taare Zameen Par show his ability to experiment as an actor in a world full of ‘formulas.’


Considered as India’s one of the most ambitious actors, Aamir has always made an effort to raise the bar. But according to him, his belief in doing things differently has come a long way, “I don’t do different things; I try to do it in a different manner. I think every person should follow his/her dream and try and make it possible to create an ability to achieve it backed by its practicality. There are hurdles in everybody's life!”


Talking about the success his so called “different” movies have achieved, he says, “I think, the audience has really changed as they want to see a variety of cinema. Today’s moviegoers have matured and are practical. They don't want the stereotype stuff to be played and that's why films with unusual subjects are being hugely appreciated and accepted." Interestingly, the end result doesn't really matter much for him. He confirms, “For me, the process is more important, more joyful. I would like to have my entire concentration on the process right from the first step. But I would like to add, I am not a multi-tasker. I concentrate to focus my efforts on one task at a time.”


Aamir is famous for his views on a number of subjects like the Narmada issue, the Olympic Torch relay or the recent terror attacks in Mumbai. “I am not a social activist. I feel if there’s any issue I feel strongly about, I can give a voice to it. Will I take up other issues in future? Yes, if and when I feel like.” Ask him what/who inspires him and he is quick to respond, “Gandhiji is one person who inspires me!”


Currently shooting for 3 Idiots, Aamir is enjoying his stay in Bangalore. He adds with a laugh, “I am having a great time shooting at IIM Bangalore. Since I am also staying on the campus, I save on travel time and as a result I am finally getting time to sleep! Raju Hirani is an absolute delight to work with and so are the rest of the cast and crew.”


His passion for cricket was well noticed when he was spotted with Sachin Tendulkar at the IPL matches last year, but not many would know about Aamir's well-thumbed, eclectic collection of books ranging from P.G. Wodehouse, Gore Vidal, Mushirul Hasan’s volume on the Partition, Vijay Nambisan's take on Bihar, Salman Rushdie's The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Pico Iyer's Falling Off The Map to a collection of the masterpieces of patriotic Urdu poetry that he safely stacks beneath his chessboard! What is he reading right now? “I'm reading a great book called India After Gandhi, by Ramchandra Guha. It is a book on Indian History post 1947. Must say, it’s very informative!”

No comments: